Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It's All About the Experience

This small town girl has decided to continue gaining experience in Madison! Yes, I'm here to stay (for a couple more months), and I'm very excited to continue building my PR and communications knowledge. Through a lot of thinking, weighing options and self-reflection, I decided that gaining the experience with Hiebing in Madison would be fulfilling for me at this point in my life.

Gaining experience is extremely valuable in the PR industry, and I'm going to continue soaking in as much as I can for two reasons. First, the more PR experience I have, the more qualified I will be to perform more strategic tasks, which is ultimately where I hope to be. Having the knowledge, confidence, and power to make strategic choices for an organization makes a person become an advocate and leader. Advocacy and the power to do such is what will make a difference in this world, which is what many in the field, including myself, wish to do.

Secondly, not only do I want more PR experience so I can be more influential as an advocate, but I want life experience as well. Life is all about experiencing new and different things. If you don't have any new experiences, how can you learn and grow as a person? Yes, having a career or a job may be important, but having experiences that enriches your life are just as important, if not more. I have been learning the in's and out's of marketing, PR and agency work at Hiebing, as well as developing my strengths and overcoming my weaknesses. And Madison has also offered me many experiences that have helped me learn more about myself, and experiences that have made me enjoy every day.

People need to think about what truly gives them a sense of fulfillment. This requires time to stop and smell the roses, and a little bit of internal thinking. Having a highly respected job is great, but if you're not learning or its cutting into life, is it worth it? I've learned that experiences are key to learning, growing and enjoying a career and life. You just have to decide what's important to you and what you want to gain. Experience is needed to be an influential advocate in the world, but you can always be your own advocate for what you want in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, I'm so happy for you, sounds like Madison is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete