Sunday, June 6, 2010

The First Test

DSCN1520

My first week in the PR world is over, as well as my first week of being an "adult." I already have a handful of knowledge and skills that will help me in the future as a profession, and as a "big girl."

The first week of a new job is never easy. Trying to adjust to the environment, the people, and the way things are done can be a little nerve racking. After this week of my internship, I’ve really had to rely on my past experiences and the skills I’ve learned in college. Already in the first week, I’ve gained so much knowledge that will help me in my further pursuits. I've heard how fast-paced the biz is, but I really had no grasp of exactly how busy it was. Jumping from one project to the next is the norm, and the day goes by in a whirlwind. But I am loving every second of it. This internship is already so different from any other experience I've ever had, and I will be better because of it.

Throw adjusting to “city life” into the mix, and I think I’ve come across the first test of my adult life. Madison is a gorgeous city with a lot to offer young people, families and even retirees. The hustle and bustle of the capitol only adds to the charm of the city. I’ve spent time meeting new people; forcing myself out of my shell in order to explore and experience Madison and all it has to offer.

So my first test for my first week in the PR world and the first time in the city…I have to say I have passed with flying colors. I am not intimidated and I’m welcoming the situations and challenges that are coming my way and will continue to test me. Being a PR intern in a city and overcoming the obstacles that hurdle at me is honestly what I’m looking forward to the most this summer. So this first test has told me a lot about myself and has made me realize something very important: I CAN rely on myself to get me through something, no matter what I’m doing or where I am. I can’t wait to see what else I can do this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment