Friday, March 19, 2010

Some Thoughts on March Madness

March Madness is coming to a close. And it certainly has been maddening for everyone who takes part in bracketology. It amazes me every year how people rave over March Madness and bracketology. And it doesn't matter what age, male, female-- there is a buzz. But this year, everyone's bracket seemed to be done and over with after the first round. I just finished watching the State/Butler game, and Butler in the National Championships is something no one saw coming.

Even though I'm a basketball fan, I tend to look at March Madness coverage a little differently. ESPN sports analysts talk and talk and talk about every aspect of the teams. Feature stories pop up all over ESPN at all times of the day. Its because of this I can see why the PR pros for a D1 college would love March Madness for more than the brackets. This is the time of the year to get a feel-good story out on ESPN, USA Today, or any other media outlet that covers the tournament hype.

And now a school like Butler is having their name mentioned more than ever in the media. If I was part of Butler's communications, PR or marketing, I would be jumping at the chance to showcase Butler's athletic and academic qualities. It makes me wonder how the dynamics have changed inside Butler's administrative walls. All I can say is March Madness must conjure some great brainstorming sessions on the best ways to showcase the university.

So, even though I'm a State fan, congrats Butler. You are helping your school succeed in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment